Our main museum building has displays of furniture, crockery, cooking utensils and needlework donated by the ancestors of the pioneers who traveled with the wagon trains on their difficult journey west. Discover native artifacts, including baskets, beadwork, pestles and a display of tools and beading provided by the Cow Creek Tribe. A large mural by a local artist replicates pictographs drawn hundreds of years ago by the North Umpqua Tribe.
Our Pickens-Matthews building contains agricultural equipment and tools. We proudly exhibit a hack from the Clough family, which may have been built for Joseph Clough, stage driver and rancher, by Charles Bealman, who was the local blacksmith and builder of wagons.
The Bureau of Land Management donated the old Huckleberry Mine gold stamp mill and renovated it. Clint Atherton, a museum member, built a replica of the mine building. Ray Boyd, also a member, helped disassemble and reset the equipment up in the building.
The Pickett Building, donated by Charles and Delores Pickett, contains old tractors and cars and will house our logging and mining exhibits as well as various other items from the Picketts. The new expansion of the building, it is now 20x60 feet, was added this past fall by the Picketts and many other community members and businesses. The Pickett family was responsible for numerous buildings and bridges in the area by providing lumber from their mills beginning with their arrival in Oregon in 1876.
|New enlarged Pickett exhibit building|
|Cohort 2 Wagon Shed|
We were approached in 2019 by our South Umpqua/Canyonville Fire Department. They wished to know if we could accept their old 1957 pumper fire truck. We all agreed that it should be under cover but, we had no room for it. A decision was made to add a shed to the east side of the Pickett Building. With the help of Jim Fosback, who explained our need for exhibit space to a number of local businesses, work began with site preparation, permits, a contractor and materials to construct a 20 by 66 foot structure.
The result is an attractive, solidly built shed that enables us to have future expansion space as well as fulfilling our immediate need. It was decided that the fire truck would be more easily seen and appreciated in the shed previously constructed on the north end of the building. The wagons have been moved to the new area, with arranging to be done in the spring.
In spite of Covid 19 our local businesses provided us with the necessary rock, lumber, plywood and materials to create this much needed exhibit space. We are grateful to the following for the part they played in this successful project.